Friday 14 August 2015

Black Bean & Rice Burritos- 21 Day Fix Friendly

I think my new favourite food is black beans. I have enjoyed them everyday for a week at lunch and supper and I have NOT got sick of them.... Yet. 




These Black bean and Rice burritos really hit the spot- even my husband approved of them: which is saying ALOT. Yup, pretty much if he likes anything, I post the recipe because while j like to experiment with different foods and textures, he does  not. 😏

This recipe makes 10 burritos: you can halve or freeze extras- I mean who doesn't like having extra options ready to go?



Ingredients:

2 cans of black beans- rinsed and drained
1 cup of corn
1/2 white onion- chopped or diced
1 bell pepper
Juice from 1/2 of a lime
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1/4 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
2.5 cups of cooked brown rice
Shredded cheese- I like Tex next for these 👍🏻
10 whole wheat 6" tortillas

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large pan- add all of the ingredients except tortillas, cheese and rice. Sauté for 2-3 minutes to mend flavours. Remove from heat.
2. Measure out 1/4 cup or 1 blue container of rice and place in a small bowl. Measure out about 1/2 cup or 1 yellow container of bean mixture and either an orange or blue container of shredded cheese (count as 1/2 blue or 1 blue). Mix together
3. Place the entire mixture into the centre of a tortilla and fold all sides in to close.
4. Place onto a heated panini press, Sean side down for a few minutes. Repeat steps 2-4 for remaining tortillas.

When you are done, wrap extras in cling wrap and place in fridge- i keep 3 days in the fridge at a time. If you would like to freeze extras, first wrap in Saran Wrap as stated above and place all extras in a freezer Ziploc bag. Warm up and serve with salsa, hot sauce and/or Greek yogurt. :)

 
*You can also add diced cook chicken or lean ground cooked meats to these to get some protein in there if you do not follow a vegetarian diet.*

**Recipe Notes- I do not count the pepper, onion, salsa or Greek yogurt in my meal plan. The pepper, corn and onion are such little amounts over the 10 wraps that I use them as "flavour enhancers" . Plus it's veggies and a good carb- I mean c'mon! 😉 same for salsa and Greek yogurt. I use 1 tbsp of each. I personally reduce another purple or red serving that day by a tiny bit to counter it but it's up to you.

I count this as:
2.5- yellow(tortilla, beans & rice)
1 tsp (olive oil)
1/2-1 blue (cheese)

Vegetarian:
1.5 yellow ( tortilla and rice)
1 red (beans)
1/2-1 blue (cheese)
1 tsp (olive oil)


I hope you enjoy- like I said, they were a HUGE hit- definitely serve up with a side of fresh pico de gallo for a kick in the taste buds! 🍴

Coach Myranda 






No comments:

Post a Comment